Thursday 12 June 2008

Lovely food in Poland

Mmmm, I didn't expect to love the Polish food so much, but considering how much we ate during our stay (and probably how much weight we put on) I think I can safely say it went down very well. Polish food is like the ultimate comfort food, lots of mashed potato, stew, amazing soups, peirogi, which are like ravioli, cheesy bread, and then lots of cabbage too. Luckily, I love cabbage!

On our last day in Poland we were in Warsaw, and Steven took me to Wedel, the finest chocolatier in Poland. I was tired and needed a pick me up, so when we arrived in these dining rooms it was like entering a chocolate dream world. (See picture below I stole from the internet because I think if I attach my camera to the computer I'm sitting at it may grind to a slow halt).



We ordered the speciality hot chocolate (that you could almost literally stand your spoon up in) and two very simple sounding icecream/yoghurt dishes. I'll see if I can get a photo up in a couple of days because they were amazing!!! They came not in dishes, but in something more akin to a vase, with huge chocolate things sticking out the top. Woohoo!! Man, I was wired after eating all that. Steven felt sick and couldn't finish his chocolate so I had his too. Then in the evening we went to pizza hut.
Somehow I don't think thats the kind of food that skinny travellers are meant to eat but then surely I need my energy for the weeks ahead. Steven thinks he's definitely lost weight and where's the harm in going along with that?
In St Petersburg now so will blog again in Moscow. Internet is v expensive and I'm trying to be stingy. xxx

No comments: