Friday 9 January 2009

Two lovely doggos.

Meet Nails the dog:



And Nana the dog:



4 weeks ago I was saying to my husband " We are DEFINITELY not getting a dog". I didn't want the hassle of looking after one, organising for when we go away etc... I love dogs - I just didn't want the responsibility. Steven didn't either, although he has always wanted a dog. He likes the idea of a dog who follows him around, a clever type who shares jokes with him and fetches him his shoes. Kind of like a better version of me.

So 3 weeks ago we agreed to look after these two random dogs whose owners were going on holiday. Oh and we were told that after that the dogs needed a new home. Hmm.

Nana and Nails arrived, and for two weeks they would sit and look up at us with big doggy eyes that said "We love you. We really love you." So after about 3 hours we gave in and decided to keep them. We're such softies.

Now every morning I take them down to the beach and they run in and out of the sea, I watch the sun come up, and I spend the rest of the day doing chores and working on the computer and they watch me. How romantic! Its so much fun having them about. And there's nothing better when you're a bit down than having a nice dog around to cuddle. And they always want a cuddle.

Sometimes it isn't the right time for something, or you weren't planning for it, but you just have to go with your instincts. Now we have two gorgeous dogs that we love, and we'll just work through all the other stuff.













Nails is a real boy. He loves play fighting, running about, guarding the property, looking after his sister, being beside you all the time, and a good tummy rub. He gets SO excited when you come home that his whole body wags and he does the funniest little smile with his front teeth! He's my favourite.

(I bought them new collars and tags.)



He has lovely soft fur.







Nana is Steven's favourite, she's a real girl, and is much calmer and softer. She likes to nuzzle her head in your arm for cuddles, she loves napping, chasing birds, swimming, burying things and driving in the car with her head out the window. She's a real dreamer and goes off sniffing by herself, getting Nails all worried because the three of us might be SEPARATED!!





And at night they have a lovely bed to sleep in. We made it using wooden pallets, a single (human style) mattress, covered with a layer of fluffy pillows, a soft-feel bed protector (for children who wet the bed), and a duvet cover....what?? ha ha. Nana is pretty much in here all day dozing. When she's not burying things.



And here is a huge rainbow that appeared over the sea one day after a rainstrom. We were sitting in the barn having a nice cold beer from the fridge!





I love a good rainbow. I swear we get about one a week out here.

Right, I'm off to buy some dog roll and more beer. In my gum boots! I feel like such a New Zealander.

3 comments:

Braunton said...

Sinead - they are sooooo cute!!!! I love the fact you can take them down to the beach for a walk every day. I'm NOT jealous.

Unknown said...

Aw Sinead, they're just gorgeous. Nana is my type of dog, big and scruffy...don't tell Max. And that beach looks great. Can't wait to be there. The photographer looks good too!
M x

Sinead Jenkins said...

They are even cuter in real life. The other day Steven told Nana off for picking up something she shouldn't have. To say sorry, she crawled on her belly over to him and then put her paw on his foot. So cute!!