Saturday 4 October 2008

Arriving in New Zealand!

Well, after all that dreaming, planning, packing, travelling, and more dreaming we are finally here, in Dunedin, New Zealand. We've been here for a week already, travelling down from Christchurch and seeing some family and friends on the way. Its so great to see everyone and catch up.




Yesterday was the first time we saw the land we bought 3 and half years ago, just north of Dunedin outside a place called Waitati. Its even more beautiful than I remember: 35 acres of lush green grass and dense forest with a stream, a river and a pond. I tell you what, it just seems ridiculous to me! How can we possibly own all of that?! This morning we walked around the boundary, sat in Steven's future fire circle in the wood, lay in the grass under the sun, and hopped on stones through the river. I sat on a big rock in the middle of the water looking at the dappled light on the stones, the ferns and the trees and I felt like laughing it was all so good! Its spring here so things are blossoming, and the land has a sweet smell like honey and coconut. Seriously, thats what it smells like!

When you stand on the spot our house is going to be on you look down through the valley to the sea. Thats where the sun rises in the morning and its just stunning.

I would obviously upload photographs, but my laptop is out of action for a couple of days and the images straight out of my camera would take about 3 years to upload on a dial up internet connection. But I will definitely get some images up in a couple of days time.

This week we have lots to do. We need a car, and some kind of garage or enclosed barn to put on the land to store our things in and to live in until we build something else. I think tomorrow night we might pitch a tent there so that we can wake up in the morning on the same spot that next year will be our house. Maybe then it will seem real.

Oh, and yesterday (our first day in Dunedin) I had my first photography commission! Which I will blog about this week.

Here is an internet photo of Blueskin bay which is the bit of coast we can just about see from our land. We are somewhere up a hill to the right of this photo I believe:



Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

No comments: