Sunday 7 December 2008

"Like being on holiday all the time!"

We're having so much fun on the land, and this week the barn is starting to go up - how exciting! I've got my vegetable garden started, we get 2 eggs from the chickens every day, and on a clear day you can gaze out to see and see the waves twinkling. It's great!

One thing has surprised me though. And that is how many people say to us "oh, you're living in a tent - it must be like being on holiday ALL the time!". At least 5 or 6 people have said that exact thing to me! Someone else told me it must be like a "CONSTANT holiday!" They are jealous of my holiday lifestlye. I used to find this slightly strange -I'm definitely having fun, but I'm not sure why life is more fun if you live in a tent. That leaks.

But then again maybe I'm wrong..... Maybe I am living a life straight out of a glamourous holiday magazine and I don't even know it! Lets see.... we can take today as an example: I got up in the tent, fed the chickens, filled the bucket for my shower, mopped up some mud, washed the dishes in the rain, made some phonecalls, dumped a couple of wheelbarrow-loads of clay onto the barn foundations, ate a tin of spaghetti out of the saucepan (saving on more washing up in the rain), drove into town, sat down to do some photography related work, and studied some tax issues. Later on I will take part in some more popular holiday activities like wheelbarrowing a couple of loads of cow poo over to my vegetable garden. In the rain. And buying kitchen roll, dental floss and bin bags.

Hmm, actually the more I think about it, the more guilty I feel at living this luxurious holiday lifestyle when some people have to put up with the tedium of solid housing and electric lights. In a couple of weeks we will be finished living in the tent. It will all be over. But now I'm feeling bad that here we are being on holiday "ALL the time" and we haven't even appreciated it.

Next time someone tells me how jealous they are of my constant holidaying I am going to tell them about a golden, dream-like place in the south of the United States... where people live in trailers... not just for 2 weeks a year, but ALL the time! Like a constant holiday!

:)

PS - I am going to take a photo tonight of the beginnings of our barn. Which, be warned - is massive! Our own little blot on the landscape.

2 comments:

Mama Nature said...

I think people think you are on holiday because you are always so positive about the things you are doing!

Most of us would be grumble bumbling along, but you are talking about it as if it's a wonderful adventure. (I think some people are secretly jealous of you doing something extraordinary!)

Sinead Jenkins said...

Yeah I know - I always try to be positive on the blog! And 90% of the time thats exactly how it feels. It is definitely a wonderful adventure, I can't believe how lucky we are.

Hopefully that post came across as a joke :) I kind of see the blog as a bit of a diary too, so I want to be able to look back and say "wow, that was SUCH hard work but it was amazing".

Oh, and the funny thing is that the holiday comments aren't from people I know at all - they are from the guy who finally came to do our electrical transformer, or from the postman, or from someone's friend who doesn't know me in the pub. How odd!! :)